Friday, October 18, 2013

"What Is An American?"

               "What is An American?"  Hundreds of people could be asked, and many of them would have differing answers to this question.  When asking someone "What are you?", they assume that the question is asking what nations your ancestors came from.  When asking someone in America, they might answer, "Oh, I'm Italian, Polish, and Irish".  If someone else is asked they might say, "I'm African-American", or , "I'm Asian-American".
            If you went to another country such as Germany, one would answer, "I'm German."  If you went to England, all answers would be, "I'm English."  The point of the matter is, in America, people rarely answer, "I'm American."  Even if they are born in America, they wouldn't answer, "I'm American."  I believe that this is because America is filled of people that are not originally from America other than those called "Native-Americans."   Those that live in America are unified because they live in America, but also not united at the same time because of all the different cultures their ancestors come from and because all of the beliefs that they still continue to follow.
               If you are not born in another country, I don't feel that there is really a point in saying, "I am a _________ American."  It only serves to not unify our country farther, and break us apart.  To answer the original question of  "What is an American?", I would say that an American is someone that comes to call America home.  You do not necessarily need to be born in a country to call it home, but be proud of the country you now live in and are a part of.  An American is someone that believes in liberty and justice, and is willing to fight to keep it.  This is an American. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you saying that people are all different even though they are unified as living in America. If you go to another country, they probably know you're from America. I don' really agree with your comment about people only living in the America shouldn't have another word in front. So what I haven't lived in China, I still celebrate the cultures and follow the traditions.

    ReplyDelete